Back in the day, you may have heard the term “fat camp” or fat farm (cringe), well no longer. Those terms are demeaning and a very inaccurate description for the ever popular weight loss camp. You may have heard about weight loss summer camps for kids, but did you know how very popular weight loss camps for adults are becoming? All over the world, weight loss resorts, spas, and camps are recruiting participants, and thousands of clients are leaving them feeling inspired and fired up for their health, and typically quite a few pounds lighter.
What exactly is a Weight Loss Camp for adults?
The term weight loss camp refers to a wide range of fitness and weight-management live-in programs offered across the world. Nowadays you have so many options to choose from, local weight loss camps to camps far away from home, even some out of the country from where you live. Every weight loss camp has a unique philosophy and targets different needs for their guests, but the very best have a few things in common:
- Obviously, weight loss camps have healthy portioned meals and snacks and the very best have private chefs and a private dining room for privacy and discussion, be weary of camps that operate their meals out of restaurants- the lack of privacy and typically over processed meals can do the opposite of what you want.
- The best weight loss camps pay attention to total overall wellness, which means they teach a combination of stress-management, behavior changes, nutrition, and of course exercise.
- Exercise of course. The best weight loss camps have smaller groups and can address past injuries and personal modifications. Large groups make it harder to get the one-on-one attention you may need.
- The best weight weight loss camps must have expect lectures and seminars led by professionals that address healthier lifestyle choices.
How to Choose a Weight Loss Camp
Choosing the right weight loss camp is very important. Typically this is a big commitment financially and emotionally. You have to take time away from your family and work to attend and make big sacrifices. Ask yourself a few questions before choosing a weight loss camp:
- How long has the camp been in business? Weight loss camps pop up faster than you can say “weight loss”, but that doesn’t mean they are all created equal. Choose a camp that’s been around for at least a few years, that way, they’ve probably worked out a lot of kinks and have proven they have a solid business.
- Where should I go to attend camp? Decide on a location. Get far enough away so you can’t drive home when the going gets tough.
- How much weight do you want to lose at weight loss camp? Some camps are just geared more towards weight loss than others. Some are more relaxing with an emphasis on spa rejuvenation.
- How long can you get away? At least a couple of weeks is the desired length of stay to make real long term progress at a weight loss camp.
- What is your budget for the camp? Check the fine print. There are many weight loss camps that claim to be all-inclusive, but that just means room and board and a few optional fitness classes. Do your homework and make sure you know exactly what you are getting and what else is required (if anything). Check with the camp to see if they have financing or discounts available to help cover costs.
After you have your answers, take your time and start researching camps. Write down your top few and make some calls. The best tip would be to get a weight loss camp representative on the phone and get your questions answered by a live (hopefully helpful and kind) person.
Choose from weight loss camps with the following styles:
- Weight loss boot camps
- Spa weight loss programs
- Co-ed programs or gender specific
- Age-specific programs
- Holistic weight loss camps that deliver body, mind, and emotional wellness
- Medically supervised programs with less exercise but more medical attention
- Long-term camps that last several weeks or months
How to prepare for your weight loss camp
Once you’ve made the big decision to attend a weight loss camp (congrats by the way), you’ve made a commitment to improve your health in a big way! You had better start preparing right away.
- Complete any necessary paperwork and get signatures from your physician where necessary.
- Read any literature the weight loss camp sends you so you can start preparing.
- Book all travel with plenty of time and coordinate transportation to and from the airport.
- Start shopping for gear you need right away so you don’t leave it till the last minute and stress.
- Start with some light exercises, the idea is just to get moving, nothing too crazy. Think 20 minutes of cardio a day to get your energy up..
- Eat healthy meals in the weeks leading up to camp. Starving yourself means you’ll enter camp low on energy which will effect your endurance and results.
- Write down a few goals you’d like to accomplish while at camp.
- Make sure you come home to a place where you can exercise (a gym, a boutique studio, your basement, whatever it takes) so you can keep the momentum moving when you get back.
Our top 3 weight loss camps for 2019:
- Premier Fitness Camp in Carlsbad, California
- Unite Fitness Retreat in Salt Lake City, Utah
- Hilton Head Health, Hilton Head Island, South Carolina